Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Rude.
It occurred to me today that perhaps their had been a global directive to redefine the word rude.  That perhaps the definition as I learned it and as I believe it no longer applies.  It certainly seems this must be the case as I see rudeness being accepted as par for the course on a regular basis.

But then I Googled it, and was surprised to see that it does in fact, still mean:
[rood]
–adjective, rud·er, rud·est.
1. discourteous or impolite, especially in a deliberate way: a rude reply.
2. without culture, learning, or refinement: rude, illiterate peasants.
3. rough in manners or behavior; unmannerly; uncouth.
4. rough, harsh, or ungentle: rude hands.
5. roughly wrought, built, or formed; of a crude construction or kind: a rude cottage.
6. not properly or fully developed; raw; unevolved: a rude first stage of development.
7. harsh to the ear: rude sounds.
8. without artistic elegance; of a primitive simplicity: a rude design.
etc., etc.

Personally, I like illiterate peasants and  harsh to the ear best.

So, for those out there who mistakenly thought the definition had wholly changed, and that things formerly thought rude are now completely acceptable in "polite" society (this would of course exclude Charlie Sheen as well as all politicians, as they are both illiterate peasants and harsh to the ear), take note, the following things are, in fact, rude:

1. Talking on your cellphone when it's your turn at a store checkout
2. Leaving local papers and flyers outside on your doorstep for weeks on end so they blow around the neighbourhood
3. Leaving the keypad noise turned on, so when you text everyone around you has to listen to click click clickclickclick, it is possible to turn it off, in fact, it is preferable to turn it off
4. Eating food while you speak to someone on the phone
5. Playing on the computer while you speak to someone on the phone (playing because working is not rude, it is how you pay the bills)
6. Being more than 10 minutes late for anything
7. Talking on your cellphone for a 50 minute bus ride, seriously, grownups should know better, and I don't want to hear about your sister's drinking problems, and I don't want to hear the tinny half-responses coming back out of your phone
8. Looking anywhere other than at the person you are having a conversation with
9. Not responding to messages, emails, etc., you may be busy, but are you dead?
10. Making personal announcements public via Twitter, Facebook, etc. without bothering to notify close friends and family first in a more personal way.
11. Making paying customers wait in line while you (the clerk) try and sign others up for a credit/points card.  I am on my lunch break, I want to hand you money and leave with my purchase, up-sell later or I will leave in a huff (which is also rude, but you made me).
etc. etc. etc.


2 comments:

sara said...

One of the top five sentences that I repeat all day long is a combination of "how do we ask for things?" mixed with "don't be rude." it never seems to never get old with a 4 yr old a 2 yr old. All of this repeating I am doing better work. Although it does occur to me just how many children might never hear this, might never be corrected or taught how to speak to people, WTF. It all comes done to people who would rather tweet or text then watch or raise their children. Don't even get me started.

sara said...

See I even have a grammatical/spelling error due to giving my kids attention over writing here. Damn children.