Sunday, June 11, 2006

The fact that I have now read all of the current (paperback) books in this series must mean I decided I like it. Sookie’s world is a much easier, light-hearted, relatable read than many other alternaworld novels. Anita Blake’s world has become so twisted, dark, and occasionally deprived that the average reader cannot related to any portion of her life any more, and while I quite like the Rachel Morgan series, it too, is a bit out there sometimes, what with the fairies and elves and things. Not that I think books are only good if they are relatable, I mean, these are meant to be “fantasy” (for lack of a better word) novels. I find that Sookie’s world contains that extra something that Buffy’s world had: the idea that all these otherworldly beings are out there among us, and in the shadows, but “normal” humans choose not to see them or acknowledge them. I like thinking that maybe, at night, roaming around my neighbourhood is a friendly vampire or two.

0 comments: